Firstly, let me say that I am really impressed by Windows Phone 7 and I had high hopes for this phone. Many of my expectations were met; however there were several that were not. The HD7 body feels really lightweight and cheap, plus the battery life did not last as long as I thought it should. Apart from this, the HD7 is great to use and it fits very nicely in my hand. The display feels huge and I really like the size of it to look at, everything feels smaller to me now after seeing this!
The positives I found whilst using the HD7 are:
- Size of Display (4.3 inches, 480×800 pixels). This is the perfect display to run Windows Phone 7 on. It is so clear, and it really does show the OS off.
- Sleek Physical Form. Even though the phone does feel a bit light on quality I thought the feel of it in my hand was very nice, the curved back made it incredibly easy to hold.
- Speed. The processor on this phone is very quick and because of this, the phone is very responsive.
- Call quality. This has been perfect and I have had no issues at all.
Now for the negatives:
- Battery life is a complete shocker; it spends more than half of each day on charge… This really should not be a problem anymore should it? Talk time has been calculated to be about 6 hours; my phone was far less…
- I really wish that there were more apps that could take advantage of this phones hardware.
- Rear camera (5 megapixels, 720p – video camera) is a disappointment; it takes average photos at best. I seemed to have a lot of trouble taking photos; it just did not want to focus…. I don’t know why?
- I really do not like the kickstand on this phone it feels really tacky, I know it is there in case I want to watch something without holding it but really a kickstand???
- Headphone connector is at the base of the phone (alongside the connector for the dock)
- The power button is not all that easy to press which lead to a very frustrating experience.
- No removable memory (16Gb- Aus). I feel that the decision made here was the wrong one and HTC should have allowed users to increase their memory with removable storage.
Overall I like this phone and I think that HTC has done a good job, but I think that they could have spent a bit more time on the build and if they used better materials then this phone would have been a killer! I definitely think that I have been converted to WP7 but I just don’t know if this is the phone I would turn for! Let’s see what HTC come up with in the next few WP7 phone builds.